People must remain vigilant regarding their physical health. It is essential to seek immediate medical attention if they experience unusual symptoms. People who exhibit symptoms such as blurriness, swelling, and involuntary eye movement should consult the best eye specialist in Karachi. The specialist will conduct relevant tests to diagnose the illness and provide treatment accordingly.
Retinoblastoma and Its Symptoms
It is a type of cancer that affects the retina of the eye. Individuals suffer from swelling and redness which affects their vision. Children are at a higher risk of suffering from retinoblastoma in comparison to adults. However, the treatment is proven effective in managing the symptoms and preventing complications that may lead to permanent damage and vision loss. The symptoms of retinoblastoma are:
- The pupil of the eyes appears white.
- The patient cannot control their movement. It moves in different directions, and the person suffers from embarrassment and anxiety/
- The eyes remain red throughout the day.
- The patient experiences eye swelling that leads to pain and discomfort.
- The patient suffers from blurry or double vision.
Known Causes of Retinoblastoma
The causes of retinoblastoma are:
- The genetic mutation causes the person to suffer from retinoblastoma. The defective genes can affect vision, and the person starts to exhibit the symptoms at the age of five.
- The mutation in the nerve cells leads to redness and swelling, indicating that the person is suffering from retinoblastoma.
- The cancer cells overtake the healthy cells and form a tumor behind the eye.
Complications Associated with Retinoblastoma
The complications associated with retinoblastoma are:
- The patient is at a high risk of suffering from cancer in other parts of the body.
- There is a high chance of reoccurrence of retinoblastoma.
- Most children suffer from retinoblastoma. It can be difficult for them to function adequately in their social life. The lack of social interactions and difficulty reading due to blurry vision can affect mental health.
The preventative measures for retinoblastoma are:
- Parents with a history of cancer should remain vigilant regarding the physical health of their children. Genetic testing can help know if there is a chance that their child may suffer from inherited retinoblastoma.
- People must remain vigilant regarding their health. If they notice unusual symptoms and their vision appears blurry for more than a week, it is best to visit the doctor. The early diagnosis of retinoblastoma can help choose the treatment time that will reduce the risks and prevent complications.
Tests to Diagnose Retinoblastoma
The tests that help in diagnosing an individual with retinoblastoma are:
- The fundoscopy is a procedure that helps check abnormalities in the retina and optic disc.
- The ultrasound helps detect the presence of the tumor behind the eye.
- Computerized tomography is a test that allows getting a detailed image from different angles to check the severity of the condition.
- The MRI helps get a detailed image to confirm the presence of the tumor. It also helps determine the exact size and location of the tumor to evaluate the severity of the condition.
Effective Treatment Options for Retinoblastoma
The treatment options that are known effective in treating retinoblastoma are:
- Chemotherapy: The medications are inserted directly into the affected area to shrink the tumor and improve the vision.
- Laser Therapy: The therapy helps destroy the blood vessels that provide the tumor with the necessary nutrients and blood to grow.
- Cryotherapy: The procedure uses a probe to freeze the tumor to stop further growth.
- Thermotherapy: It is a procedure that uses heat to destroy cancerous cells.
- Enucleation: In severe cases, the specialist may remove the affected eye to prevent further complications.
Individuals diagnosed with retinoblastoma should consult a competent and reliable eye specialist at Kulsum International Hospital. The doctor will provide the patient with information regarding the most effective and latest treatment options that will help in smooth recovery without further damage.