The goal of EPS insulation is simple—to improve the comfort of a home and make it more energy efficient. It plays a critical role in keeping the desired temperature in your home year-round and it helps reduce sound transmission to create a quieter interior. EPS is one of the many insulation products in the market that achieves this goal. But what is it? What are some of its benefits?
Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is a type of closed cell insulation material known for being lightweight, rigid, and tough. It is a common insulation material in the market and has been around since the 1950s. It consists of 98% trapped air and 2% plastic created through a molding process, making it a highly efficient, cost-effective, and versatile product with outstanding insulation properties.
EPS has a wide range of applications. Its low weight relative to rigidity and strength makes it an ideal material for protecting fragile shipments while keeping shipment costs at a minimum.
It is also a perfect insulation material for those looking to regulate temperatures for their packaging needs. Its closed cell structure provides minimal water absorption and low vapor permanence.
Because of all these benefits, EPS has become a popular insulation material for building and construction projects, from residential and commercial to industrial.
Features of EPS Insulation
Energy efficiency is the primary feature of any insulation. Insulation products’ energy efficiency is measured in the R-value, or the resistance to heat flow. The higher the value, the better the insulation property. EPS insulation has an R-value of 3.6 per inch, making it one of the products with higher insulating capabilities in the market.
Besides energy efficiency, perm rating is another quality that defines a good insulation product. A perm rating measures the ability of a product to let water vapor pass through. With a rating of 5.0, EPS ranks high among the industry’s most effective insulation materials.
Benefits of EPS Insulation
What sets EPS insulation apart from its alternatives is its superior insulation properties and the fact that it is efficient, cost-effective, lightweight, and rigid enough to withstand any project. The following are some of the reasons for its widespread applications:
- Cost-effective: EPS insulation is an affordable insulation option that saves you money on installation and heating expenses in the long run.
- Versatile: It is suited for a broad range of insulation projects, from packaging and building to construction.
- Lightweight: EPS is easy to transport, install, and cut into any shape necessary for insulation needs.
- Excellent thermal properties: Its superior level of energy efficiency as shown by its R-value makes it suitable for improving your home’s thermal capabilities.
- Water-resistant: The perm rating is enough evidence of its ability to protect your property against water, vapors, and mildew.
- Acoustic insulation: It does not just regulate your home’s interior temperature. It is also a perfect insulation product against unwanted external sounds so you can enjoy peace and quiet.
- Sustainable investment: It saves energy and gas costs in the long run and is an environmentally friendly insulation option.
Why EPS Insulation Is Necessary
Insulation is one of the most important and beneficial aspects of any structure that is going to house people. It ensures you stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, improves indoor air quality, keeps your house quieter, and can ultimately save you money on your energy bills.
That is why EPS insulation is a great option. It checks all the boxes for providing a house with the necessary comforts. Get in touch with a company today that has years of experience manufacturing and installing insulation.