Health Benefits of Pecan & Expert TipsJanuary 3, 2021
Pecan is called the favorite nut of Americans. In the United States, it is eaten on a par with peanuts, while in Russia it is considered exotic. The first American settlers replaced them with money and considered them the best medicine for dozens of diseases. Today pecan has been studied, and experts have confirmed its benefits for the human body. We will tell you why you should include nuts in your diet right now, and teach you how to choose a quality product. In one article, we’ve compiled everything you need to know about pecans.
Pecan has gained popularity in America since the days of the first settlers. The Indians gathered the fruit of nutritious nuts to prepare “medicinal” milk. Children, old people and sick people were given them to drink. The drink gave them strength, strengthened the immune system. Walnut was considered valuable, it replaced money.
More than 80% of the world’s pecan reserves are concentrated in the southeastern United States. The walnut is also harvested in the Caucasus, Australia, Central Asia and the Crimea. Pecan grows on a tall, spreading tree in the form of oval-shaped fruits. The edible part is hidden under the shell. Externally, pecans are similar to walnuts, but they have a brighter brown color. It is also flat, slightly flattened and elongated. The taste of pecans is sweeter and tenderer than a walnut, there is no bitterness in it.
Pecan is rich in vitamins A, B, E, as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, zinc. Scientists have proven more than a dozen beneficial properties of this nut. Include it in your diet to help you become healthier.
Top 10 benefits of pecans:
- Reduces cholesterol levels. Doctors advise including walnuts in the diet to prevent heart disease. Specialists often include it in anti-cholesterol diets.
- Useful under stress. Pecan restores strength, relieves stress, and increases body endurance.
- Reduces the risk of cancer. Substances from pecans fight inflammation in the human body and destroy harmful cells.
- Purifies the blood. It also has a good effect on the work of the heart. Pecan is indicated for anemia and for the normalization of blood pressure.
- Improves the condition of the skin and hair. Vitamins A and E are fat-soluble – the body absorbs them completely from pecans, because it is 70% fat.
- Helps to lose weight. Pecans are rich in fat and fiber. It saturates with quality and for a long time. A mid-day snack of 5-6 nuts can help reduce sugar cravings.
- Normalizes the digestive tract. Improves metabolism, relieves constipation, and debugs the intestines.
- Strengthens the immune system. The body absorbs all the vitamins and minerals from pecans well, because the nut is rich in healthy fats. This improves the overall resistance of the body and helps maintain vitality.
- Good for women. Normalizes hormones, has a positive effect on appearance. It is rich in folic acid, which is important during pregnancy.
- Good for men. It increases endurance and is useful for physical exertion. Pecan is called the natural “Viagra” for men because it has a good effect on potency.
Harm and daily rate
The calorie content of pecans is 736 kcal per 100 grams. It is high in vegetable fats. They should not be abused. This is one of the fattiest nuts – so pecans will harm the body if the liver is impaired. Doctors advise against consuming more than 100 grams of nuts per day. This is the maximum dose that the body can absorb. Experts recommend limiting yourself to 5-7 nuts per day.
Overeating pecans can lead to an upset stomach, constipation, or nausea. Walnut is a strong allergen, so it should not be introduced into the diet of children under 3 years of age.
How to choose and store?
Pecans are sold in shells, raw or fried peeled. To choose a fresh nut, consider the appearance, smell and taste:
- Beautiful shell. There should be no dents or stains on it. The pecan shell is thin and can be broken by hand. But there should be no cracks on it.
- No mold. A bitter smell and dark spots indicate that the pecans are spoiled.
- Packaging. A raw nut without shell will quickly deteriorate in the air, because it is 70% fat. Buy nuts in sealed containers. Roasted pecans last longer.
It is best to buy in shell nuts to peel them before eating. If you purchased raw pecans, freeze them. Remove in small portions and toast as needed. In this form, it will not deteriorate for 10-12 months. Raw pecans will only stay fresh for 1 month after exposure to air.
Pecans are naturally sweet and savory. Therefore, it is most often used for making desserts. The most popular of these is American Maple Syrup Pecan Pie. Nuts are added to cakes, sprinkled with baked goods, and a praline-type filling for sweets is prepared from them.
Read Also: Benefits of Walnut
Americans love fried pecans in maple syrup or honey. This snack replaces candy for those who choose healthy food. In Russia, the delicacy is unpopular, but you can order it on iHerb: you can see maple pecans here, and honey pecans here.
Recently, organic nut butters have become popular in the US as a healthy alternative to peanut butter. Pecans are usually mixed with cashews to lower the overall fat content and extend the shelf life. The pasta can be eaten with fruit or used to make homemade PP desserts. It is difficult to find it in Russia, it is expensive, and so it is better to order it from Ayherb.