There is a lot of VPN services available on the web today, so you can connect to secure servers anywhere in the world. This option is quite simple and is within your reach; Regardless of the version of Windows you use, you can connect to a VPN on a Windows PC.
These servers guarantee that the data is transmitted in an encrypted way through certain protocols and techniques called “Tunneling”. This means that no third party has access to know the location of the connected device.
The use of VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) is well established for companies. Through these, secure connections can be established between various terminals that are separated by many kilometers. Without a doubt, using a VPN is the best option to protect your IP address from third parties.
Additionally, you can browse safely without worrying if your data will be intercepted by other people. Protecting our information is important, as there are people with bad intentions who seek to access our data to harm us.
That is why we bring you this post, so you can learn how to create, configure and surf the internet from a VPN for PC, it doesn’t matter if it’s 10, 8, or 7, although you can also do it from a Mac PC.
Additionally, we will describe solutions so that you do not have problems when connecting from a VPN on a Windows PC. At the end of the post, you will be an expert on the subject and you will significantly improve security when browsing the web.
What Is the Usefulness of a VPN?
According to its acronym, a VPN (Virtual Private Network, in English) is basically a virtual version of a computer network. In this local network, computers are physically connected to each other to share resources (printer, mail, etc.). Although you can also do this whole process on your iPhone.
Thanks to VPNs, computers have the ability to connect to the local network from any country in the world. For this, the VPN has two fundamental functions: encryption and tunneling, and its purpose is based on safely delivering your data over the internet.
By building a private network, we can get a lot of benefits. The first is that it gives us the opportunity to share documents simply and easily with other users.
Another benefit is that, in the face of the increase in cybercrime, the VPN has become a fundamental service to protect our computer systems and devices.
Steps to Create and Configure the VPN
Currently, the Microsoft operating system has versions that are the most used by users. In this case, we are talking about Windows 10.
Next, we will show you how to create and configure a VPN on a Windows PC for the version already mentioned above. It should be noted that the installation process is very similar in each version.
As long as you have the address of a server, as well as the identifiers to access it to pass your data traffic. In this version of Windows, the process is done in a few minutes without any complications. This version has 4 protocols available:
- L2TP / IPsec
Before proceeding with any configuration, you should find the address of a VPN server. There are a wide variety of sites that offer such addresses without paying for them and they are quite reliable.
For example, we have a post that shows you the top 4 best VPNs that you can choose and they are free, so you can choose the one you like the most. Once you have chosen the VPN of your choice, follow the instructions below.
- First, you need to look for a server, we recommend a very reliable site called com; which offers a list of free servers. Then, in the tab of the site called “PPTP”, you have to choose an address and remember the username and the secret password, which change frequently.
- Later, to configure the connection in your Windows operating system, you must click on Configuration to Networks and Internet to Virtual Private Network after this click on the option “Add a VPN connection”. Then, click on “Add VPN connection”
- Next, a blue window should appear in which you must enter the information indicated above. You must remember that in the “Name” box it is probably mandatory to enter a specific name for your private connection service.
- Now, go to settings and click on “Connect” to add the respective VPN. With this, the internet connection will be made through the Virtual Private Network.
VPN Connection Solutions on a Windows 10 Pc
In this version the problem may be related to the equipment, the free VPN, or the infrastructure in use; and proceed as follows:
- Diagnosing the problem: You must connect to the VPN using a properly configured computer and user account, to verify if you can establish a remote desktop connection.
- Keep in mind that a firewall can cause connection problems. You need to make sure the port is active.
- Network-level authentication: in this case, the normal thing is that the session host must authenticate the user before confirming the connection.