Sausage rolls are a delicious, savory pastry snack that is popular in the UK and throughout Europe. They’re easy to make at home with an air fryer. If you’ve never used your air fryer to cook sausage rolls before, check out this quick guide on how to do it!
Steps of how to cook sausage rolls in an air fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees F for a few minutes. Grease the air fryer’s basket with cooking spray or oil so that your sausage rolls do not stick when they come out of the machine.
- In a large saucepan, cook your sausages according to their packaging if necessary. Cut them in half lengthwise and lay them out on a cutting board flat side down (if you want them to look like traditional sausage rolls).
- On each piece, spread some tomato ketchup and add cheese slices or cubes (or both!) across the centerline, leaving about an inch at either end (this is where your pastry will go).
- Roll up the sausages, skewering them with a toothpick if they fall apart.
- Roll out your puff pastry dough and cut it into strips that are about a half an inch wide and six inches long (if you need to, these measurements can be adjusted depending on the size of your sausages).
- Put one strip of pastry on top of each sausage roll, brushing water along the length of the strip before laying it over the sausage. Fold both ends up and pinch together where they meet in the middle. If you’re feeling creative, try outlining your sausage with another strip of pastry for decoration!
7. Lay your sausage rolls in the basket of your best large capacity air fryer with any excess puff pastry falling off to one side or underneath.
- Cook your sausage rolls for 10 minutes at 370 degrees F, or until the pastry is golden brown and flaky. Serve with extra ketchup!
You now know how to cook sausage rolls in an air fryer! This is a great alternative solution if you’re tired of deep-frying your own sausages for dinner. I hope this guide helps! Good luck, and enjoy your tasty sausage rolls with tomato sauce on the side!
Q: can i cook sausage rolls at a lower temperature?
A: no, because you’ll not get the same crispy effect as deep frying. It makes all the difference.
Q: how long to cook sausage rolls in an air fryer?
A: between 10-15 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your fryer machine. Keep an eye on them and adjust cooking time and temp as necessary (some machines run hotter than others).
Q: do I need to grease my air fryer baking pan?
A: If your sausage is sticking to the pan, definitely grease it first before cooking. Otherwise, maybe yes or no, depending on what type of material your machine is made from! Be though not everything has a non-stick coating.
Q: do sausage rolls have gluten in them?
A: yes, oftentimes they do! Read the ingredients label to be sure, or simply use a gluten-free puff pastry dough for a better option.