Sun. Sep 24th, 2023
SORN my car

The DVLA has been getting a lot of flak lately for the way it handles its responsibilities in relation to motor vehicles, with people from all over the UK criticising its lack of transparency and ability to make sense of complicated terms. In this blog article, we will discuss about the process for obtaining a SORN, which is also known as an “S” registration mark.

What is the DVLA?

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is a government body in the United Kingdom responsible for administering vehicle registration plates and driving licences.

Why do I need a SORN?

You may need to have a SORN if you are selling your car, because it shows that the car has been officially exported from the UK.

How do I get a SORN?

If you are selling your car, you will need to obtain a SORN from the DVLA. If you are not selling your car, then you can simply register your vehicle with the DVLA.

How to Stop Your Car Being Taken Away

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) can take your car away if you don’t have a valid taxation number (SORN). If your car is taken away, you will need to go to the DVLA office to get it released. There are a few things you can do to stop your car being taken away.

  1. Check that you have a valid SORN. You can check whether you have a valid SORN by going to the DVLA website and entering your vehicle’s registration number. If the number is listed under ‘Registered Owner’ then you have a valid SORN. If the number is not listed under ‘Registered Owner’ then you will need to get a SORN from the DVLA. You can get a SORN by going to any branch of the DVLA or by calling 0300 123 9123.
  2. Fix your tax code. If you don’t have a valid SORN, the DVLA may still be able to take your car if it has been registered with an invalid tax code. To fix your tax code, you will need to go to a garage and have your vehicle’s engine, emissions, and chassis numbers checked. If all

Types of SORNing

Do you own a vehicle that is registered in your name but is now being used by someone else? If so, you may need to apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). There are different types of SORNing, and it’s important to know which one applies to your car.

Why SORN your car?

If you’re thinking of selling your car, or if it’s been stolen, you need to register it with the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). This is called SORNing your car. Here’s why: 

  1. If you sell your car, the new owner will have to register it with the DVLA.
  2. If your car is stolen, the thief won’t be able to drive it away unless they’ve registered it with the DVLA first. The police can then track down the car and arrest the thief.
  3. If you want to keep your insurance premiums down, you’ll need to SORN your car. This means that the insurer will know that the car is not currently being used and isn’t subject to any claims.

How to Remove Limitation from your Vehicle

If you have a Vehicle Registration Number (SORN) then the DVLA may require you to remove any limitations from your vehicle before they will register it. This can be done by applying for a new registration number or by using a Special Purpose Registration Number.


The short answer is yes, the DVLA SORN my car. The Department for Transport (DVLA) registers and maintains the vehicle records of all vehicles in the UK. As a registered keeper of your vehicle with the DVLA, you are responsible for complying with certain legal obligations when driving your car. One of these obligations is to keep accurate records of any changes to your car’s ownership or use, which means that if you sell or give your car to someone else, you must ensure that their records match those of your DVLA record of the vehicle.

Read also: avple


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *