5 Periods Products Every Girl Should KnowJune 10, 2018
Let’s just get this out of the way, PERIODS ARE THE WORST. The period cramps, the mood swings, the back aches, the sore breasts, the dizziness, the food cravings, the trouble sleeping and most importantly the constant realization that there is blood coming out of your vagina. Every girl knows how uncomfortable periods can get. You know what makes the periods even more of a discomfort? Sanitary pads and inorganic tampons. These Periods products are still a dilemma for most of the people.
In a country like India, we’ve always been taught to consider sanitary pads as our best option during menstruation, no matter how irritable they might feel down there. They can cause rashes and infections. Moreover, it’s annoying when they just won’t stay in place, making it impossible for us to indulge into any sort of physical activity or sports. So, today I am going to tell you about 5 great alternative period products every girl should know and from where you can get them for really affordable prices:
This is by far the best thing I’ve bought for myself. One of the most suggested periods products:MENSTRUAL CUP. It is a bell shaped device made up of soft grade silicone. It is inserted into the vagina during menstruation. The idea of a menstrual cup is that it prevents the menstrual blood from leaking onto clothes by collecting the menstrual fluids i.e. blood, rather than just absorbing it like a pad or a tampon. It is latex-free, hypoallergenic product and it doesn’t contain any dyes, phthalates, bleaches, plastics or toxins.
Why to use this:
- It provides you 10-12 hours of leak-free protection; therefore, you only need to empty it twice a day. (P.s. I know the process of insertion and removal of the cup is messy with blood on your fingers and all, but in my opinion, it is worth the rest of your day spent in comfort.)
- It’s highly economical too. A menstrual cup can be reused up to 10 years which means you save a lot of your cash, as we all know how over-priced these pads are.
- They are so comfortable to wear, you forget that you’re on your period. They don’t get in your way to go swimming, cycling, running and other physical/sports activities like a pad does.
- After you’re done with your period, all you have to do is sterilize the cup in hot water for roughly 5 minutes and keep it someplace clean and it is ready to be used next month.
- It is eco-friendly too because unlike sanitary pads, you don’t have to worry about disposing them as sanitary waste takes hundreds of years to decompose.
- It is available in different sizes small, medium and large.
Where to get it: https://amzn.to/2Jqh1D5
As most of you probably already know, the traditional inorganic tampons are made of a mix of regular cotton, which is grown with the use of pesticides, and synthetic rayon, which absorbs the menstrual fluids. This mixture is bleached and whitened with chlorine and some more chemicals. Furthermore, fragrances and dyes are added to it, which make it look like an easy, good smelling, and a manageable option. Whereas, the organic tampon is made from organic cotton which is grown without the use of pesticides. More periods products like this should be promoted.
Why to use this:
- The organic tampon is free of any chemicals, fragrances or dyes.
- It is environment friendly as even the applicator is made of sustainable/biodegradable material unlike the plastic applicator that is used in the making of inorganic tampons.
- They are comfortable to wear and the organic cotton fibres are breathable and hypoallergenic.
Where to get it: https://amzn.to/2HB12fI
Yes. They exist. Most of you would think that they’re some sort of ugly looking pair of panties, but actually, they are not. These panties are comfortable to wear and provide you with leak proof protection, so you can use them as an alternative to pads and tampons. However, I wouldn’t totally depend on it on my heavy flow days. I would suggest you wearing them on your lighter days, when your period is about to get over or when you know it’s not worth wasting a pad or a tampon.
Why to use this:
- They are stain-proof and odour resistant.
- You don’t have to worry about them not staying in place like you do with sanitary pads. They just have to be worn like normal panties without any additional effort.
- Many of the period panties come along with a kangaroo pocket in the front and you can place a heating pad there which would help with your cramps.
- They are reusable.
Where to get it: https://amzn.to/2l3k5Gt
REUSABLE CLOTH PADS
As the name suggests, they are eco-friendly.They are the most suitable among all periods products. These pads are made of biodegradable, absorbent material. They don’t contain chemicals and are made of 100% pure cotton fabric.
Why to use this:
- They are beautiful, soft and easy to care for.
- They can last up to 5-6 years, which means lesser sanitary waste from your side.
- Easy to reuse as you just need to soak and rinse it with cold water and then dry it out in the sun. It is preferred to gently boil the pads once in every 3 months.
Where to get it: https://amzn.to/2kXSlTG
ORGANIC COTTON PADS
Similar to inorganic tampons, the conventional pads also contain inorganic cotton, grown with the use of pesticides. So, it goes without saying that it’s harmful for your vagina. They look just like your traditional sanitary pad, but is made of 100% organic cotton.
Why to use these periods products:
- These pads are plastic-free, free of rayon or latex.
- They are biodegradable.
- No irritants and fragrances.
Where to get it: https://amzn.to/2JF6bse
Discounts are available.